EN 407 : Feature and Magazine Writing
Instruction provided by SaraJane Tompkins
Library Catalog When searching for biographical and critical information in the library catalog, be sure to search from the title/author/subject search screen. Also, enter the authors last name first (ex. Erdrich, Louise) and select the Library of Congress Subject Heading button before searching.
Search for scholarly literature including peer-reviewed papers, technical reports, and books. Google Scholar is also a great tool for finding other articles related to one's you already have. Search for the title of an article you have and click the "Cited by" link to see other articles related to this one.
Health & Wellness Resource Center (+ alternative health) Integrated portal accessing a variety of types of literature covering medicine, consumer health, nursing, wellness, and alternative therapies. Besides full-text articles, searchable online illustrated encyclopedias, dictionaries, directories, drug & herb finder, web sites, and health assessment tools are provided .
Index to articles in over 9,000 general and scholarly periodicals. Contains full-text articles from over 5,000 magazine and journal titles as well as newspapers from the Knight-Ridder/Tribune News Services. Indexing begins in 1980 with full text starting in 1983. Full text coverage varies widely from title to title.
Marquette Area Resources
- Polk City Directory, Marquette Michigan. F574.M3 P6 2005. The latest 5 years are kept in Reference, older editions in Archives.
- Marquette County 2004 Plat Book. G1413.M33 G46 2004. Current copy in Reference, older copies in the Map Room.
- Hunt’s Guide to Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. F572.N8 H86 2001. One copy kept in Reference and one copy circulates
- Atlases of Michigan can be found in the G1410 to G1413 call number range; Maps of Michigan can be found in the G4110-G4113 call number range (should you just want to aimlessly browse these call numbers).
- Books about Michigan can be found in the F561-F575 call number range (again, for aimless browsing).
- Marquette County Information System. A multimedia encyclopedia about Marquette County. Find parcel information via interactive maps, history, population information, local government contacts, zoning, community organizations, etc. This is a very useful resource.
- City of Marquette. Includes links to information on the city commissioners, manager, departments, and boards and commissions. Also included are online city forms (small arms permit, waste permit, Freedom of Information Act, etc.), maps (voting precincts, sidewalk plowing map, bike path route, etc.), descriptions of the city's strategic and master plans, and property inormation.
- Marquette County. Provides links to administrative units, board members and county officials, commissions, courts, human service programs, etc.
- National Weather Service, Marquette. Offers daily forecasts, satellite imagery, daily and monthly climate summaries, and more. All weather information nationwide comes from the National Weather Service.
- Marquette County Health Department. Find statistics, information on local issues of interest and concern, state and national health issues, etc.
Non-Governmental Local Resources
Other Sources for Local Information
Need further assistance?
Stop by the Reference Desk for further assistance with any of these sources. You can also contact the Reference Desk through live chat or by phone at 227-2294.