EN 407 : Feature and Magazine Writing
- Polk City Directory, Marquette Michigan. REF F574.M3 P6 [YEAR]. The latest 5 years are kept in Reference, older editions in Archives. Includes Ishpeming and Negaunee.
- Marquette County 2009 Plat Book. REF G1413.M33 G46 2009. Current copy in Reference, older copies in the Map Collection. Other UP counties are shelved adjacent to this.
- Marquette County 2006 Road Atlas. REF G1413.M33 M3 2006.
- Hunt’s Guide to Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. REF F572.N8 H86 2001. One copy kept in Reference and one copy circulates. Although dating from 2001, this is still a good reference tool for the U.P., and there is a newer edition available online.
- Similar to the Hunt's Guide is Michigan's Upper Peninsula Almanac, published in 2009. F 572 .N8 J66 2009.
- Upper Peninsula Business Register & Market Facts Guide. Published every year, this is a summary of statistics (business, economic, demographic), business and industry listings, transportation, recreation, etc., for the Upper Peninsula. The most recent two years are kept in Reference, older issues in Archives. REF HF5065 .M5 U665 (DATE).
- Atlases of Michigan can be found in the G1410 to G1413 call number range; Maps of Michigan can be found in the G4110-G4113 call number range (should you just want to aimlessly browse these call numbers). The Michigan Off Road Guide Upper Peninsula Edition is in the map collection, shelved with the atlases. Call number G1412.U6 E63 M52 2006.
- Books about Michigan can be found in the F561-F575 call number range (again, for aimless browsing).
- Many print resources can be found at the NMU Archives, located on the first floor of the LRC. In fact, they have the Upper Peninsula Sled Dog Association records.
Other Sources for Local Information
- For articles published before 1983, use the Readers Guide Retro, which has citations for articles in just over 600 magaznies dating back to 1890. General OneFile is an additonal database containing many current (back to 1980) popular magazines.
- Books in Print. 1979-present. "Contains bibliographic information for forthcoming, in-print, and out-of-print books, audios, and video titles. Provides publisher information as well as biographical sketches for many of the authors. Additionally, Books in Print provides access to thousands of full-text book reviews."
- Access World News. 1970s-present. "Provides full text coverage of over 900 U.S. and 1200 international newspapers, wire services, and news agencies. Browseable by date and broken down further into sections (business, editorial, etc.) or searchable by keywords, including individual papers or entire regions (states, countries, continents)."
- Ulrich's Periodicals Directory. 1932-present. "A directory of information about periodicals and other serials published throughout the world including consumer and trade magazines, academic and scholarly journals, monographic series, newsletters, newspapers, electronic publications, and 'zines. Links are provided to tables of contents, article abstracts, submission guidelines, document delivery services, and reviews from Magazines for Libraries and Library Journal." A nice companion to the Writer's Market below.
- Writer's Market. PN 161.W83 (DATE). Located in the Reference Collection, this annual publication provides you with what you need to approach a market. The who, what, where, etc, of books, consumer magazines, and trade journals. Previous year is on the 3rd floor.
Need further assistance?
Stop by the Reference Desk for further assistance with any of these sources. You can also contact the Reference Desk through live chat or by phone at 227-2294. You may also contact the Government Documents/Maps Librarian directly, Bruce Sarjeant, at 227-1580.