Newspapers: Historical and Current
Access World News. This is our newspaper database which includes full text coverage of over 900 U.S. and 1200 international newspapers, wire services, and news agencies--check the sources of your story, though, as it might not come from any one of these. Dates of coverage varies; primarily 1990's to present. There are only 25 sources for Michigan. Search the Michigan newspapers in this database here.
Northern currently subscribes to the following newspapers in print (kept in current periodicals). The hotlinks will take you to our online subscriptions or free access.
- Army Times (retains the latest 6 months)
- Chicago Tribune (retains the latest 2 weeks)
- Christian Science Monitor (retains the latest 2 months)
- Chronicle of Higher Education (retains print until mircofilm copy is received. Call number LB 2300 .C47)
- Detroit Free Press (retains the latest month; older copies in microfilm,call number AN 2 .D47)
- Detroit News (retains the latest 2 weeks; older copies in microfilm, call number AN 2 .D48)
- Escanaba Daily Press (retains the latest 2 weeks)
- Grand Marais Gazette (retains one year)
- Green Bay Press Gazette (retains the latest 2 weeks)
- Guardian Weekly (retains one year)
- Houghton Daily Mining Gazette (retains the latest 2 weeks)
- Iron County Reporter (retains the latest month)
- Iron Mountain-Kingsford Daily News (retains the latest 2 weeks)
- Lansing State Journal (retains the latest 2 weeks)
- Le Monde (retains one year)
- Marquette Mining Journal (retains print until microfilm copy is received--these are kept in Archives)
- Michigan Chronicle (retains the latest month)
- Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel (retains the latest 2 weeks)
- Minneapolis Star-Tribune (retains the latest 2 weeks)
- Munising News (retains the latest month)
- New York Times (older copies in microfilm, call number AN 2 .N45)
- North Wind (retains print until mircofilm copy is received--these are kept in Archives)
- USA Today (retains the latest 2 weeks)
- Variety (retains one year; older copies in microfilm, call number PN 2000 .V3)
- Wall Street Journal (retains the latest 3 weeks; older copies in microfilm, call number HG 1 .W3)
- Washington Post (retains the latest 2 weeks)
- Win Awenen Nisitotung (Current year in Newspapers, past issues go to Archives).
The NMU Archives has microfilm copies of local and regional newspapers dating back to the 1800s.
List of current online Upper Peninsula newspapers and periodicals from UP Blue.
Online Collections, Current and Historical
While you can navigate through to Michigan on these websites, here they are quickly linked here for you. Each of these links will have a newspaper that is missed in another--there is no one, complete source, which is why several are listed here.
- WIkipedia (links to the newspapers for Michigan, but if you want to start at the top of that page, click here). This is a large, international list that includes links to additional collections.
- Chronicling America, from the Library of Congress. Search the years 1836 to 1922.
- ICON: International Coalition on Newspapers. Links to free and subscription newspapers. Contains newspapers dating back to the 1600s.
- U.S. Newspaper Program. This is a national effort among the states and the federal government to locate, catalog, and preserve on microfilm newspapers published in the United States from the eighteenth century to the present. Select a particular state from the list for the links to the organization within that state.
College and University/Student Newspapers
The same rules apply for these listings: no one source has it all. A search in any search engine for newspaper and whatever college you are looking for will work, too.
Are we missing a link to something? Let us know.